As a measure to help equalize commuting costs among Union members across the University, the Harvard-HUCTW Transportation Fund provides partial reimbursement of eligible commuting and parking costs deemed to be a significant financial burden. This fund is available only to members of the HUCTW bargaining unit.
The transportation fund runs in two cycles and has two deadlines each year. For expenses incurred between:
- January – June 2019, the application deadline was July 15, 2019
- July – December 2019, the application deadline is January 15, 2020
The July 2019 application period has now closed. The application will reopen in late 2019 for the January 2020 deadline.
Your eligible costs must total more than $145/month ($1740/calendar year) in order to qualify for the fund. For complete list of eligible expenses please consult page two of the Application Guidelines. Eligible costs include:
- MBTA Commuter Rail/Ferry monthly passes for Zones 5 – 10
- Private commuter train (e.g., Amtrak) or bus
- Parking in MBTA or other remote commuter lot or garage
- Parking in the Longwood Medical Area
Ineligible costs include: parking in Harvard lots or garages; other Cambridge parking; street parking; gasoline/tolls/wear of a privately owned vehicle; Local MBTA passes or Commuter Rail passes below Zone 5.
Fund awards are calculated based on the total transportation costs of all eligible applicants. All applicants will receive the same percentage of reimbursement, but your specific award is based on your costs. Your award will vary somewhat from year to year depending on the number of applicants in any given year. All eligible applicants who apply on time will receive a reimbursement.
Your reimbursement will be processed by the HUCTW and Payroll offices, and will appear in your paycheck.
How to Apply
- Fill out your Transportation Fund application: Transportation Fund Application Form (form will open in late 2019 for January 2020 applications)
- Be sure to include:
- Completed application
- A brief description of your commute
- Receipts/Proof of expense of your transportation costs
- If you have any questions, please email us at: email@example.com
HUCTW TRANSPORTATION FUND GUIDELINES
For more information please contact Danielle or Alex at the HUCTW Office at 617-661-8289 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.