As a measure to help equalize commuting costs among Union members across the University, the Harvard-HUCTW Transportation Fund provides partial reimbursement of eligible commuting and parking costs deemed to be a significant financial burden. This fund is available only to members of the HUCTW bargaining unit.
The transportation fund runs in two cycles and has two deadlines each year.
- The application is now closed after the recent July 20, 2020 deadline for expenses incurred January – June 2020.
- There will be a January 2021 deadline for expenses incurred July – December 2020.
Special note on COVID-19 Pandemic and Transportation Fund Application Processing
Your eligible costs must total more than $145/month ($1740/calendar year) in order to qualify for the fund. For complete list of eligible expenses please consult page two of the Application Guidelines. Eligible costs include:
- MBTA Commuter Rail/Ferry monthly passes for Zones 5 – 10
- Private commuter train (e.g., Amtrak) or bus
- Parking in MBTA or other remote commuter lot or garage
- Parking in the Longwood Medical Area (Harvard or non-Harvard parking)
Ineligible costs include: parking in Harvard lots or garages anywhere other than the medical area; other Cambridge parking; street parking; ride shares such as Lyft, Uber, etc; gasoline/tolls/wear of a privately owned vehicle; Local MBTA passes or Commuter Rail passes below Zone 5.
Fund awards are calculated based on the total transportation costs of all eligible applicants. All applicants will receive the same percentage of reimbursement, but your specific award is based on your costs. Your award will vary somewhat from year to year depending on the number of applicants in any given year. All eligible applicants who apply on time will receive a reimbursement.
Your reimbursement will be processed by the HUCTW and Payroll offices, and will appear in the next paycheck following award announcements.
How to Apply
- Fill out your Transportation Fund Application Form (The link to the application form will be available here prior to each application deadline)
- Be sure to include:
- Completed application
- A brief description of your commute
- Receipts/Proof of expense of your transportation costs
- If you have any questions, please email us at: email@example.com
HUCTW TRANSPORTATION FUND GUIDELINES
For more information please contact Danielle or Alex at the HUCTW Office at 617-661-8289 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.